Since 2005, Randy “Rocket” Cody’s THE METAL DEN has set a high standard for excellence in heavy music with its yearly “Top 10” list , selecting metal bands based on their overall musical accomplishment in a studio recording. The criteria Rocket and TMD uses to make these selections is based on technical musicianship and the level of interpretive skills involved in singing or playing music on an album.
TMD searched far and wide listening to new releases throughout the entire global metal landscape during 2009, in all of the underground scenes, including: U.S.A., United Kingdom, Russia, Croatia, Italy, Egypt, Germany, Poland, Tokyo, and so many countless other great world cities/countries that celebrate a phenomenal love for heavy metal music.
Bands did not have to be signed to a brick-and-mortar record label to make our list.
Beyond its musical production, the ‘album theme’ and ‘song lyrics’ also get considered during the tough judging process, helping to lend a more fully informed selection based on all of these separately stated criteria.
We salute each and every musician that recorded on each of the following masterpieces in metal.
TMD’s Top 10 Heavy Metal Albums Of 2009!
1. Megadeth – Endgame (Roadrunner Records)
2. DevilDriver – Pray For Villains (Roadrunner Records)
3. Slayer – World Painted Blood (American/Sony)
4. Sepultura -A-Lex (Steamhammer)
5. Goatwhore – Carving Out The Eyes of God (Metal Blade Records)
6. Chimaira – The Infection (Ferret/Nuclear Blast)
7. Lazarus A.D. – The Onslaught (Metal Blade Records)
8. Evile – Infected Nations (Earache)
9. Warbringer – Waking Into Nightmares (Century Media)
10. Ignitor – The Spider Queen (Cruz del Sur Music/Heavy Artillery)