Bassist Magnus Andersson (aka Devo) has exited Swedish black metal act MARDUK after spending 17 years in the group.
Andersson had the following to say:
“After a total of 17 years in Marduk, 70 countries and almost 900 gigs, I decided to leave the band. I intend to concentrate more on the studio.
“I therefore wish the other members of Marduk good luck in the future.”
– Morgan Steinmeyer Håkansson, intent on creating the most brutal and blasphemous metal act ever, forms Marduk
– The ”Fuck Me Jesus” demo is released
– Records but chooses not to release the 7” ”Here’s No Peace”
– First live appearances, now considered cult shows
– Debut album ”Dark Endless” recorded in June and released during the winter solstice
– All through the year Marduk performs on various locations in Sweden, rapidly gaining a following and fan base
– No Fashion rips the band off badly
– Signs a record deal with French label Osmose Productions
– Second full length album ”Those of the Unlight” released in October
– The first Marduk gig abroad takes place – Black Metal Nights Festival in Oslo, Norway in April
– Marduk’s first European tour, entitled ”Sons of Northern Darkness”, is carried out during May and June
– Third full-length album ”Opus Nocturne” is recorded during autumn and surfaces on record shelves by the year’s end